Friday, March 10, 2023

Hitting the big time

 So operation when you wish upon a star is well underway. It started with the delivery of the Champion XS bike a few posts ago. Or Maybe when John put me on his vintage BSA vintage motocross bike I posted about last june. Or maybe when I became good friends with John's brother Frank after he played jazz music over the loudspeaker while doing the race commentating at the flattrack races I started to attend in Denver when I got the flattrack bug from the Sideburn magazine way back when. Who fucking knows when or how or who the fuck'n fuckidy doo dah it started. But I remember when I was a bursting into the scene pro off road racer and working for the Maxxis off road industry I once over heard the Factory Kawasaki team boss talking to my Maxxis boss about not knowing if their new team leader racer had just hit the big time or if the big time had just hit him. I have often thought of that conversation like when I found myself in Spain shaking down a 150 hp race only homologation Buell XBRR 1340cc monster bike on a MotoGP track and the thing was spitting off its chain, spitting out rags the mechanic left in the air box, and spitting off its 62mm throttle bodies when I chopped the throttle. I had hit the big time. And the i felt the big time hitting me back even harder. Hard enough that weeks later on that same spanish MotoGP engineered beast I felt like I was playing Russian roulette, dancing with death. As close to suicide as I ever plan to take myself. What a rush. If that is the big time- I don't want it. Expectations are for angry in-laws, parole officers, and some old twit at the fabled golden gaits. Luckily I dont have any of them characters in my story. What I have is the real grass roots grown bond of the Lambrick brothers; Frank and John. Like two school yard mates who have each other's backs. Us against all the rest of the world. Not only did John offer me up the beautiful XS Champion bike but he started talking about a 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR (wide ratio) bike he won in a Cycle Magazine raffle. Back in 89 the AMA in an effort to keep flattrack alive hyped up DTX (Dirt Track Conversion). They gave each major magazine a dirtbike to convert into a flattracker. The Yamaha was developed with the help of none other than Chris Carr and even crash tested by David Aldana. It took a year for John to take delivery on the bike and by the time he got it it was ready to race, despite Aldana's signiture crash marks. John raced it to a 4th in championships points that year. It eventualy got changed back to a dirt bike spec and now I have the suspension on my bench and I am turning it back into DTX. I also rebuilt the crankshaft. Kind of cool to rebuild a crank that has been flogged by so many others. More cool is that this June I am to go out to Illinois and flog this puppy myself. On a TT, Short track, Half mile, and A Mile. Yes sir, this June I am really feeling like I am going to be riding high, hitting the big time. GO TEAM NEWBOLD'S MOTORBIKE LAMBRICK BROTHERS RACING!





I love a bike with a story. And this bike has it's story. I am hopping I can add a fun adventure filled chapter to it. June will be here before I know it. Time to start rubbing crisco into my leathers to make my beer belly fit into them... I think it has been two or three plus years since I went roundy round racing. ....Where the fuck did I stash my hot shoe...?

1 comment:

Frank said...

We are excited, too, brother T; nice post!

The chance to be involved from the early stages of prepping for a race is a real education for me as a race fan, and with luck, we'll get to share that process with other folks at some point.

To DuQuoin!