Saturday, October 12, 2019

Moped Dick

There I was perched on another exotic motorcycle. I am not sure why I am so lucky or maybe it is just my lack of concern for my well being. But I'd like to call it my life's destiny. As I applied throttle and lifted my feet up and way back to the pegs the bike began to lean over more than the forward momentum and 14 degrees of steering lock could compensate for and my first ride on the special 50cc land speed bike from Norway ended in a crash not more than ten feet from where it started. Luckily there were no major damages. I felt a bit sheepish but my ego is able to take much worse. We re-started the engine and off I went down the old abandoned pot hole riddled highway behind my shop. As the engine revved up to 15,000 rpm it started to really move me. At 16,500 I was in my happy place; That precious rare place, as narrow as the power band on the little home made engine. So rare and precious. Yes! A feeling I was not expecting as the days prior we had made the trek to the holy salt flats only to find that over night rain had turned them into a giant lake. SCTA World Finals was canceled. All was not lost though as a good attitude of the crew was upheld despite Jim and Don driving all the way from Arkansas and Alex the amazing Norwegian two stroke stuffer flying half way around the world after building the entire bike in a few months. The quality of the crew was top notch. So I offered my shop and the back roads of western Colorado for our own speed trials week and it was a great way to break and repair parts. The bike should be a real contender for some record setting next season. Viva "Moped Dick"!



No comments: