Thursday, May 30, 2019

80 beer can trophy

I used to be obsessed over collecting trophies. I did some really brave, courageous, and dumb shit just for a trinket. If I drove home with some hardware I was happy. They filled a hole in me that had been created from childhood years of never feeling good enough about my self. While other kids scored goals and made out with prom queens I felt like the social reject I was and still am. Then I started bombing hills on my bicycle and in turn received attention and that led to winning races on my motorbike and the trophies received re-assured me that I was good enough. Trophies made me proud of my self for probably the first time since I was 3 yrs old before my parents divorced.  I started to doubt my obsession when I moved and then when I moved again I realized I had a problem and not only were trophies mostly meaningless, they were a burden to not only move but display and seeing them now just makes me feel a little misguided with vanity.  But I reckon it is a good idea to stick to what one is good at. And I am only good at a few things. I must have a couple hundred trophies now. Mostly plaques, plastic crap figures of the classic 80's mx cross up figure, some crystal heavy chunks from Pikes Peak, and a few unique ones but nothing is as cool as this one that was made from 80 (estimated) beer cans drank around the camp fire last weekend. Winning the overall at a big endure for the first time is cool but what means more to me is that because the race organizers didn't have their shit together and no trophies were handed out my friends decided to take it on themselves to stay up way later than I did, drink a shit ton of beer, melt their cans, and sand cast me a fucking trophy!
I know now that trophies are not at all special but what they represent sure as shit is!

No comments: