Sunday, April 14, 2019

Big Bad Bush Basher

The 1988 XR600 former pikes peak race bike and ice racing state champion got a new front end from an XR650R and a XR650L shock that I removed half of the shims from. I shaved down the base plate to increase the shock's extended length but not enough. Or so I thought. The bike has been strapped and loaded in my van for over a month awaiting a test ride with the new suspoosh and wheels. I finally got out and rode last weekend and...
THIS BIKE IS THE BEST TURNING DIRTBIKE I HAVE EVER RODE!
On the dirt roads there is no bounce or buck from the back end most squishy old XRs have. Nor is there the mid corner twitch there is with all new rigid aluminum dirtbikes. This over weight old girl just squats and holds a line, any line like a slot car. Then on to some high speed single track and more of the same; she turns. The extra weight can make the brakes seem a bit weak but who needs brakes when you can make it turn anyway. I would like to put some stiffer springs front and rear and an FCR carb but hot damn am I stoked on how fun this old bike is to ride!

No comments: